We have begun a new math unit concentrating on area and perimeter. The big ideas are:
- Area models are related to addition and multiplication.
- Area covers a certain amount of space using square units.
- Multiplication can be used to find the area of rectangles with whole numbers.
- Area models of rectangles and squares are directly related to the commutative property of multiplication.
- Area models can be used as a strategy for solving multiplication problems.
- How can area be determined without counting each square?
- How can the knowledge of area be used to solve real world problems?